In 1907, Rev. John Taylor, a C.M.E. Mission Preacher, was sent to Indianapolis from Louisville, Kentucky. His mission was to establish a C.M.E. Church in the Indianapolis area. A few days later, the first prayer service of that C.M.E. Mission was held at 702 Fayette Street, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Gip Ringo. Those present at that service were Rev. John W. Goode, Rev. John Taylor, Mr. Gip Ringo, Mrs. Anna L. Ringo, Mrs. Alice Lewis, little Miss Emma Ringo (Goode) and her two brothers. For several weeks Church Services were held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ringo. Rev. John Taylor and Mr. Gip. Ringo later rented a space in the old Victors Building, located on the N/W comer of 12th and West Streets, for the Mission Church to hold its meetings. In 1992 the Church relocated to the former Christian Scientist Church Building located at 210 East 34th Street.
Mission Statement: The mission of Phillips Temple C.M.E. Church is to share the saving grace of God and the love of Jesus Christ to all people.
Vision Statement: The vision of Phillips Temple C.M.E. Church is to be a living church that is financially secure, with adequate facilities to meet the social, economical, emotional, and educational needs of people of all ages by equipping them to obtain spiritual maturity through the word of God.
Scripture: Proverbs 27:17 KJV “Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.”
To access Temple Times, click here.